Thursday, 27 August 2015

Buddha short stories

One man came to Buddha. He was a great scholar, a sort of professor, had written many books, was
known all over the country. Maulingaputta was his name. He said to Buddha, 'I have come with dozen
questions and you have to answer them.'
Buddha said, 'I will answer, but you will have to fulfill a requirement. For one year you will have to be
with me in total silence, then I will answer -- not before it. Right now I can answer but you will not receive
the answers because you are not ready, and whatsoever I say you will misinterpret because you have too
many interpretations crowding your mind. Whatsoever I say will have to pass through your mind. For one
year you just be silent so that you can drop the knowledge. When you are empty, whatsoever you want to
ask I will answer, I promise you.'
While he was saying this, another of Buddha's disciples, Sariputta, sitting under a tree, started laughing
-- a mad laughter. Maulingaputta must have felt embarrassed. He said, 'What is the matter? Why are you
laughing?'
He said, 'I am not laughing about you, I am laughing about myself. One year has passed. This man
deceived me also. I had come with many questions and he said, "Wait for one year," and I waited. Now I am
laughing because now those questions have disappeared. He goes on asking, "Now, bring those questions!"
but I cannot bring those questions. They have disappeared. So, Maulingaputta, if you really want your
questions to be answered, ask now, don't wait for one year. This man is deceptive.'

No comments:

Post a Comment